I’m trying to incorporate a little more fish into my diet. Omega-3s anyone? (This new resolve basically equates to having fish once a week instead of chicken, turkey, or beef.) So, last night I made this Pan-Roasted Mahi Mahi with Fruit Salsa & Grilled Squash from Clean Eating magazine. Heck of a recipe name, huh?
I thought it was great, but Jared opted to eat just the fish and squash; he nixed the best part (the fruit salsa). I guess he wasn’t sure about mixing fruit with peppers and onions. We love him anyway. See what you think!
PAN-ROASTED MAHI MAHI with fruit salsa & grilled squash
Serves 4, Makes 3 cups salsa
- 2 zucchini, sliced on a ½-inch-thick diagonal
- 2 yellow squash, sliced on a ½-inch-thick diagonal
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 4-oz boneless fresh mahi mahi filets, skin on
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp low-sodium broth (chicken, vegetable or fish)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet red grapefruit, peeled, segmented and chopped
- 1 medium orange, peeled, segmented and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
ONE: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
TWO: Prepare fruit salsa: In a large bowl, combine all salsa ingredients. Set aside.
THREE: Heat a grill pan or barbecue to medium-high. In a separate large bowl, toss zucchini and squash with 1 tbsp oil. Add zucchini and squash to grill pan and cook, turning once, until golden brown and tender. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
FOUR: Sprinkle mahi mahi with salt and black pepper. In an ovenproof skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium-high. Add mahi mahi, flesh side down, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully flip mahi mahi and cook, skin side down, for 1 minute. Pour broth over top, transfer to oven and bake for about 5 minute, or until mahi mahi is just cooked through.
FIVE: To serve, remove skin from mahi mahi, if desired. Top with fruit salsa and serve with grilled zucchini-squash mixture.
Or Try This! As an alternative to mahi mahi, try cod or even wild salmon in this recipe. (I’ve found Whole Foods has some great fish options.)
As you can see from the photo, I ended up stirring it all up so it turned into more of a salad. Not a bad way to go. Oh, and I’m also thinking you could add some brown rice or quinoa in the mix if you’re missing your grains.